Ready Mix Concrete (RMC) – Setting up to Manufacturing Concrete
Concrete is a mixture of sand, slag, stone particles and gravels which are aggregated together by means of a cement paste. Ready-mix concrete (RMC) is usually manufactured in a batch plant or concrete plant. It is a mixture consisting of Portland cement, water, and aggregates as mentioned in the manufacture of concrete such as sand, gravel, and crushed stone. This concrete is particularly manufactured in a place for construction of buildings, bridges and even houses. A ready mix concrete is batched or manufactured in a plant called batch plant or concrete batching plant.
Ready-mix concrete can be made by the two following mixers
- Using transit mixers: This type of truck is used in construction sites to supply concrete in a state of plastic. It has a spiral blade that rotates in both clockwise and anticlockwise directions. During clockwise direction, concrete is poured into the drum. During anticlockwise direction, the concrete is discharged out from the drum.
- Using volumetric concrete mixers: This also can be transferred to the construction site for Ready Mix Concrete (RMC). It supplies the concrete in the dry state and should be mixed with cement. It consists of an Archimedes screw inside this mixer to mix and lift the concrete for discharge.
Advantages of RMC:
- Ready Mix Concrete are highly durable and the use of this concrete in buildings and other construction sites.
- Longer lifespan up to 40 years. Hence used in bridges and road construction.
- Lower cost compared to other types of concrete.
- Ready Mix Concretes are used in the construction of
- Bridges and Dams
- Overhead construction roads, multistoried buildings, and sites
Starting RMC plant
There is a question as to how to start the RMC plant. Before starting an RMC plant, there are certain factors to be planned beforehand as follows.
- Plant location: It is very important to choose the location of the batch plant in the outskirts of metropolitan cities.
- Climatic conditions: The climate and weather conditions of the location must also be identified.
- Cost: It is important to plan the budget for the project. RMC plants can require a high cost for installation and production. An outline of the cost needed for the project must be designed.
- Transportation: It is very important to choose a location with a transportation facility. It must be a city that has all modes of transportation. If it is in a coastal area, then the manufacturing concrete can be sent abroad and the business can be expanded.
- Profit assessment: The amount of money invested must be obtained through profit. It is necessary to assess the investment in plant construction, equipment, labor, and other factors before proposing a project.
- Machinery and equipment: It is very important to choose quality assured machines and other equipment for starting an RMC plant.
Working off an RMC batch plant:
Setting up a batch plant is easier and involves the following steps. Initially, the raw materials including cement are loaded into cement transfer. The cement is then pumped into Silo cement for storage. The aggregates such as sand, gravel and crushed stones are then loaded into the cold bin. Based on the design of the mix, cement, additive mixtures, aggregates and water are weighed separately and they are loaded into the mixer. This is where everything gets mixed and as a result, Ready Mix Concrete (RMC) is discharged from the mixer.
It is easy to set up an RMC plant if you have a necessary idea, investment, and location. These are the simple steps you need to consider before installing an RMC plant.